Dominick Clayton and Odessa Betancourt
Why is choosing the right environmental services company so important? Cleanliness is just not a luxury in the medical field. Medical facilities have greater expectations and must take specific safety precautions to prevent the spread of disease and infection. In addition, the company you choose should align with your brand, your reputation and the established trust that you have with your patients.
Because of the high standard of cleaning needed, most medical facilities choose to outsource to a commercial cleaning company that specializes in environmental services. Environmental Services covers a wide array of specialty services in a healthcare facility. Those services include laundry, liquid and solid waste control, safe disposal of materials contaminated by radiation or pathogenic organisms, and general maintenance of safety and housekeeping. The importance of outsourcing and choosing the right company to clean and maintain your facility is magnified when you consider the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) statistic that one in 25 patients suffer from hospital acquired infections. There are two main factors that should always determine how you select a company: Certifications and Training. When selecting a company it should become a true partnership. Just as you are passionate about providing world-class health care for your patients, your environmental service provider should be just as passionate about taking care of your facility. Here is a quick guide to assist you in vetting out the right environmental service provider for your healthcare facility:
Compliance Certifications and Best Practices:
- Be sure the company has specialized cleaning and infection control programs that will help you safeguard your patients against facility-acquired infections.
- Also, make sure that they meet all Joint Commission and Federal Requirements for Human Resources in a Healthcare Environment.
- Uses hospital-grade disinfectants and sanitizers.
- Uses vacuums with HEPA filters to improve air quality and nanofiber technology to contain dust and allergens.
- Understands the causes of cross contamination and how to prevent it.
They are Properly Trained for Healthcare Facilities in the areas of:
- Theories of infectious cleaning
- Blood-borne pathogens and hazardous waste removal procedures
- Housekeeping maintenance and standard operation procedures
- The Joint Commission, OSHA and state/local operations protocols for proper cleaning and sanitation
- Safety, equipment and materials
- Continuous quality improvement
- Standard EVS operating procedures
- Job description for each EVS position
- Analysis for each EVS task
- Training programs and feedback checklists for each EVS position and task
- Daily, periodic and special project schedules
Trust and Security:
- The company should only employ individuals after an In-depth background check.
- Drug screening/vaccinations are required:
- 10 Panel Drug Screening
- TB Skin Tests
Offers a Variety of Environmental Services:
All services should be customizable to fit your budget and your needs:
- Hospital environmental services
- EVS project work
- Post-healthcare construction clean-up
- Healthcare floor maintenance programs
By following this quick guide when selecting your next environmental service company, your patients will get your attention because you will not have to worry about your healthcare facility. Ensure that your patients are always in a healthy environment from the time they arrive until their departure. Hire a professional, certified and experienced environmental services provider.
Dominick Clayton, an Orlando native and Odessa Betancourt, originally from Chicago established Clay-Court Unlimited, Inc. after observing a need in the commercial cleaning industry. Combined Dominick and Odessa have several degrees in Business Administration, Marketing and Educational Leadership. Together, they posses over 30 years in leadership, consulting, sales and education experience. After years in the educational and corporate setting, they find their passion lies in providing stellar service and making it easy for their clients to focus on mastering their craft.